This past Friday evening the Redeemer West Side family celebrated the 10th Anniversary of the opening of the W83rd Ministry Center (Watch the video here). It was an occasion to celebrate through worship and storytelling some of the ways the reconverted parking garage has been used to further God’s mission through us and our partners. Core to Redeemer’s vision from the beginning is that we see ourselves as called to love and serve the City, therefore the building has not just been a home to our congregation and other Christian ministries but a place where our neighbors were also welcome. For example, we had six different art exhibitions that engaged over 200 people, many of whom aren’t part of our church community. We also saw the return to in-person music performances and served as a concert venue for three music ensembles, welcoming hundreds of guests.
Located on a block with a public school, firehouse and post office we want W83 to continue to serve as a public utility for the common good, finding new ways to partner with those in our West Side community and training our church family to live out God’s mission to care about and serve the place to which we have been called. So for those who read this weekly blog who used to call New York City your home, thank you for the ways you contributed to the stories we heard this past Friday night. And for those who are here, thank you for making this place your home and for being part of our family. And for everyone reading this may I ask you to pray for our congregation and for wisdom as we seek to steward W83rd to love our neighbors and bring healing to our city.
This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says to all those I carried into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: “Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease. Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.” – Jeremiah 29:4-7
Bring a blanket and your lunch and come hang out with RWS staff and your fellow Redeemerites in Central Park.
We’ll be at the West 81st Street entrance, south of the boulders just past the Diana Ross Playground
- Go to the Redeemer Counseling Open House on Saturday, May 21: Celebrate Mental Health Awareness by learning some self care skills and get to know Redeemer Counseling.
- Apply to Gotham Fellowship until May 31: The Gotham Fellowship equips Christians to connect God’s kingdom mission to their everyday work, relationships, and more. Dream of a revitalized New York City. Envision how God is at work healing the past year’s wounds. Then ask yourself: what is my part in this task? Join a community of New Yorkers seeking the good of the city. Applications are due May 31.
- Sign up for the RWS Membership Class, June 5: This class helps potential members learn the gospel theology and ministry of Redeemer West Side so you can join the church. We cover what’s behind the five membership vows, how a PCA church is led, and how members step into our sacred call to love our neighbors and heal our city.
- Sign up for Vacation Bible School, July 11: Have an exciting weeklong event consisting of worship, skits, crafts, music and Bible lessons in a camp-like atmosphere, all of which will help kids discover and celebrate God’s greatness!
- Serve at Community Markets with Dream Center: Support vulnerable members living in NYCHA public housing (MLK Jr Towers and Taft Houses) by providing dry goods/produce and building relationships.
- Teach English at W83 Ministry Center: Do you have a gift for teaching and a heart for connecting with the immigrant community? Teach evening ESL courses with The Open Door once a week and form new friendships in person!